You would like to migrate your existing website from your old hosting provider to your DIHOST cloud server? You have come to the right place. This article will guide you step by step through the migration.
Before starting the migration process, you have to determine which method is the best for you.
If you have no technical experience and/or would like us to perform the migration, simply contact our hosting experts and we will be more than glad to help you with the migration. As an alternative you can also migrate the website manually.
Free Migration Service
Our worry-free and zero-downtime migration service is free of charge. To request a migration, simply open a ticket in the client area with the following details:
- Domain name you would like to migrate.
- Login credentials to your old hosting provider (control panel, FTP, phpMyAdmin) or
A link to a full website backup that we can download and restore on your cloud server.
- If you have not added the domain in the cloud panel already and have multiple servers, let us know the server where we should put the website content.
The ticket will be assigned to one of your support members who will start the migration as soon as possible. The migration process can take up to several minutes and hours, depending on the website size and bandwidth limitations of your old hosting provider.
As soon as the migration is completed and we have tested your website on your cloud server, we will inform you by email. The email will also include the next steps needed to perform a zero-downtime switch. If you need further assistance, simply reply to the ticket/email and we will be more than glad to help.
Manual Website Migration
If you do not want to use our free and zero-downtime migration service, you can carry out the migration manually. This process involves several steps and requires some basic knowledge of web technologies.
As the steps are differ from hosting provider to hosting provider and website type, we will try to give you a general overview:
- Create a backup of your website content or download it using FTP.
- If your website is using a database and is not included in the backup, download the database manually (eg. using phpMyAdmin).
- Add the domain to your cloud server.
- Upload the backup or website content to the cloud server by file manager or FTP (eg. Filezilla).
- Create a database user and database and import the exported database.
- Adjust the new database user and database name in your script’s configuration file (eg. for WordPress in the
- Update the nameservers or DNS records of your domain to point to your cloud server.
If you need help at any of these steps, please do not hesitate to contact our hosting experts.